HISTORY & MILESTONES
1889 The Bethany Methodist Family begins as a compassionate married couple act as Good Samaritans and invite an indigent, elderly lady to share their home. After meeting six other homeless seniors, they collect funds and open the first Bethany Retirement Community on Chicago's north side.
1930 Bethany is recognized as a national leader in nonprofit, high-quality care for older adults.
1942 When the Retirement Community infirmary reaches capacity, Methodist Hospital of Chicago is built next door to serve residents and neighbors of all ages.
1965 As life-spans lengthen, the number of seniors with chronic illness increases. Bethany responds to the need for compassionate, 24-hour skilled nursing services by opening The Bethany Terrace in Morton Grove.
1985 The Dementia Care Center at Bethany Terrace is designed to offer quality-of-life programs for elders who might otherwise be ignored or institutionalized. Before "Alzheimer's Disease" is widely understood, the Center pioneers holistic care that encourages meaningful activities, maximizes resident independence, and supports families with education and counseling.
2003 The Village of Glenview invites Bethany Methodist to develop Chestnut Square at The Glen. This beautiful new community for independent seniors is located within walking distance of theaters, golf courses, restaurants and shopping.
2007 To enable older adults to thrive in place, Bethany Methodist acquires Partners in Healthcare, a licensed agency staffed by Certified Nurses Assistants and RNs. With a caregiver or companion on a short- or longer-term basis, seniors may comfortably and safely remain in their own homes following hospitalization or as they become more frail.